Keeper of the Family

Home    Photos   Stories    Soldiers   Tombstones                      Back to Stories                          Family Trees    Sailings   Fellow Chasers   Contact me

 

George P. Dewsnap

Mr. Dewsnap's Factory was located at 41 North St. His business consists of the manufacture of buckskin, sheep and kid gloves, together with coin bags, in which the latter branch Mr. Dewsnap has built up a flourishing trade, being constantly in receipt of orders from California and other Western States for these bags for storing and transporting coin.  Now that specie resumption is a secured fact, bankers and merchants will find it to their interest to deal direct with Mr. Dewsnap for coin bags. Mr. Dewsnap has built up a fine glove trade in Orange County and through New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and is prepared to fill all orders promptly and at low prices. We advise dealers to give him a call. 

1856 Citizeniship Document

Mark Dewsnap

Mark Dewsnap and his wife Phebe A. Dewsnap, was b. 24 Apr 1824 in England. He d. 3 Sep 1898. He is bur. with his wife in Valleau Cem. His wife Phebe (possibly nee Van Gelder), was from her gravestone b. 20 Sep 1829 and d. 27 Oct 1903. In 1850 Mark was liv. in Hackensack Twp. aged 26, a shoemaker b. in England, liv. with his bro. James Dewsnap. In 1870 .Mark 48 and Phebe 40 were liv. in Washington Twp. Liv. with them was Jesse Van Gelder 65, b. in NJ. and Amelia House 15, b. in NJ. Jesse Van Gelder 75, and married d. of suicide on May 1875 at Chestnut Ridge, b. in PA the son of John Van Gelder and Phebe Coles. It is likely that Mark's wife Phebe was Jesse's dau. In the 1876 Walker Atlas of Bergen Co., the house of "M. Dewsnap" was located on the corner of Chestnut Ridge Rd. and Old Chestnut Ridge Rd. now 170 Chestnut Ridge Rd. This area was then know as Chestnut Ridge and later as Upper Montvale. An article in the Bergen County Democrat, issue of August 17, 1894 referring to the people of "old, conservative Chestnut Ridge" mentioned that "Mark Dewsnap, A. P. Haring, W. Weller, and a number of others" would be in Montvale while others of the area would be in Woodcliff. Mark and Phebe were enumerated in the 1895 census of Montvale they were both "over 60", he was "foreign born" (not in Germany or Ireland) and she was native born. Living with them were James Fredricks, native born (aged 5‑20) and Henry Creamer who was foreign born (aged 20‑60.) In 1900 Phebe aged 70 was a wid. liv in a rented home in Saddle River, NJ. References: 1895 Census of Mont Vale #4‑4; Montvale Centennial Newsletter March 1994, p. 6; Walker Atlas of Bergen Co. 1876; Bergen Co. Historic Sites #0236‑20; Research of Pat Wardell which cites 1850 census of Hacken sack Twp. 554‑584; 1870 census of Washington Twp. #3‑3; 1900 Census of Saddle River #203‑215.Valleau Cem. p. 100, plot 903

The Bishop House Foundation, Inc. was established to restore and maintain the Ackerman-Dewsnap House at 176 East Saddle River Road, which was last occupied by the Bishop family. Owned by the Borough of Saddle River and leased to the Foundation for one dollar a year, it was built in 1835, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.